Friday 26 October 2007

Model Rail Box Storage System

Way back in time around the early 70's I decided to embark on building Airfix kits for my model railway layout, but the problem arose on how to store the made up kits because they came with no boxes. I started to make my own using old cereal boxes and soon developed a system to store them neat and tidy, but more important be able to get at the particular model I needed quickly without going though lots of models wrapped up within say newspaper.

The system is also used to store a collection of Models, Locos trucks and coaches picked up cheap at toy fairs and since they they have no box one is made. They can be also used to store model cars, buses, and other models

Big advantage is very little space is wasted with extra packing, they are contained in a larger box like so Using open boxes the system lends itself to a easy to get at stock system, this particular box contains 45 "O" wagons about 5 inches long. When I use stock for the layout I return the box to the master with the label upside down, this never lose the box and if I turn the whole box upside down it tells me which trucks are on the layout

When the layout is stored away or I decide to use other stock the whole box can be sealed up quickly for storage or transport. I've moved house 3 times since this box was made and has stood up to quiet a bit of bashing around, I reckon its about 25 years old.
The large number relates to a carbon copy book, now superseded by a computerised stock system. At any one time I can locate any model railway item using the PC and the box system, saves a lot of time an effort looking for certain things.
The other advantage is they prevent damage while in transport the whole box is quite solid because each box provides support for the others. Still not a bad idea to store more tougher models such as die cast around the edges. When I made a new box often fill them with empties so if I purchase something I have a space to put it straight away.
The arrows relate to which way to store upright, the odd small tank loco might be added and if stored the correct way up any oil leaks down instead of on their sides

When i visit friends with other layouts I find it easy to carry just one box about, locos & coaches are carried in a longer storage box.


No comments: